[syslog-ng]Over zealous syslog-ng problem

Borzenkov Andrey Andrey.Borzenkov@siemens.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 14:45:17 +0300

[...]
>=20
> On the other hand, in theory, more than one process can write
> nonblocking to the same pipe. So its better to use atomic writes with
> buffers <=3D PIPE_BUF, to avoid, that the processes interleaves.
>=20

It does not actually help in current implementation because pipe writes =
in
syslog-ng do not preserve message boundaries. So it does not matter if =
OS
inserts data from different writers between two syslog-ng writes or in =
the
middle of 4K block write - in both cases great chances are at least one =
line
is mangled.

> > Hmm... could you send me a reference where you read this? I doubt =
it is
> > true.
>=20
> My favorite references are:
> APUE and UNP books by R.W.Stevens (the godfather himself :)
> and many of the linux/solaris man(2,3*,4,5,7) manpages.
>=20

Hmm ... I prefer The Real Unix Standard :-)
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm

Happy New Year to everybody

-andrey