[syslog-ng]syslog server config question

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:26:44 -0800

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 06:17:50PM -0800, Mark Schipper wrote:

> A quick search convinced me that syslog-ng was my best bet so I compiled and
> replaced syslogd with syslog-ng, but it is still logging my client logs to
> /var/log/messages (yes, I killed syslogd first), even though I setup the
> following at the end of the syslog-ng.conf file:

So you have two problems if I read this right:
 1) you're still logging to /var/log/messages
 2) you're not logging to /var/log/HOSTS/$hostname

To fix #1 you'll have to remove the "log{};" lines that send logs to the
/var/log/messages file (and to any other files you don't want written.
Simple enough.

To fix #2 you probably only have to create /var/log/HOSTS - syslog-ng
won't do that for you.

Post back to the list if this doesn't fix things up or I misinterpreted
your post.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

We can't prove that God exists. However, we can prove that if God does
exist, he's pretty good at math. In fact, we can prove that even if
God doesn't exist, he's still pretty good at math.