[syslog-ng]replacing part of prog name with hostname

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:31:45 -0800

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> The solution is to fix the sender program, no better workaround exists in
> syslog-ng.

I tried that. I spent months trying to explain it to their developers. I
almost got one of them to understand, at which point he said they don't
really care.

*Sigh*, we've paid hundreds of thousand of dollars to them too. I gave
up and wrote my own syslog relay daemon to rewrite the messages as I
needed.

> Nate, the problem does not apply to local messages only, it happens to cases
> when Solaris sends these messages via UDP. It is not a solution to simply
> assume that there is no hostname for local messages

I know that it applies to both locally-read messages and ones read from
over the network. What I want is for syslog-ng to know that when it's
reading from /dev/log or /etc/.syslog_door on solaris to *then* do the
behavior I'm speaking of. Over the network it can never know what the
remote OS is, but when reading from the socket it certainly knows.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. The
mystery which surrounds a thinking machine already surrounds a thinking
man." - B. F. Skinner, Contingencies of Reinforcement