[syslog-ng]Over zealous syslog-ng problem

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:36:56 +0100

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:11:45PM -0500, Aaron Jackson wrote:
> Ben Russo wrote:
>
> My perl script does the same thing.  It basically sits asleep and checks
> every few seconds to see if something has been written to the pipe.  If
> so, it reads 1 line at a time until nothing else is there and then goes
> back to sleep.  The pipe entries are also preformatted sql statements.
> What is strange to me is that the sending machine seems to have no
> problems writting 16 million entries to disk and the receiving machine
> has the same syslog-ng binary and, for the most part, the same
> syslog-ng.conf file.  So either the messages are getting lost in
> transport, or the perl sql inserts are not blocking and they happen too
> fast for mysql to deal with.  To me, the latter is more troubling.
> Either way, my setup needs to be refined.

I think they are lost during transit. UDP is especially lossy on bursts.

syslog-ng has no 'last message repepated NNN times' feature, and though it
could be implemented, it clearly clobbers messages, especially when multiple
hosts generate repetition messages.