[syslog-ng]replacing part of prog name with hostname

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 14:59:12 -0800

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:50:33PM +0100, Sander de Boer wrote:
> ,
> On Tuesday 31 December 2002 23:05, you wrote:
> > I have syslog-ng 1.5.24 on solaris 8, reading from /etc/.syslog_door and
> > I have a log entry like this:
> >
> > Dec 31 13:48:15 larry 6.0[8704]: [ID 702911 local0.warning] [0] Can't
> > stat file in FlushFile [news/PointCast]: No such file or directory
> >
> > ...but the program name was sent from the app was: "ctlds 6.0[8704]:"
> > and syslog-ng replaced the first part of the messed up program name with
> > the host's name.
> >
> > In the next version, can syslog-ng "learn" that it don't get a hostname
> > from solaris ever and that the entire text coming in is actually the log
>
> I looked at my logs from Solaris 8 systems using standard solaris syslog and
> with the exception of some kernel messages the hostname is perfectly ok. Both
> the 'HOST' and 'FULLHOST' macros in the syslog-ng config file return the
> proper host name.

The problem is when part of the program name looks like the hostname.
Since you should never actually get a hostname when getting input from
the syscall, syslog-ng should not behave this way, IMO.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Buddha