[syslog-ng]performance test questions

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:36:01 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:24:38PM +0100, Achim Gsell wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2003 13:03, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> You can also test & try the attached "macro.c" which uses a hash function
> generated with gperf. In my tests the binary search made the macro expansion
> (4 macros in the template) about 2.5 times faster and the hash function (and
> some other minor changes) about 3 times.

The real solution for further improvements would be to preprocess the
template description and cache the results. A template is  a sequence of:

constant_string macro constant_string macro ...

e.g. a single pass would be enough to convert the string to an internal
format representing the sequence above, then a much faster algorithm could
be used to format the results as no lookups would be needed. (macros could
be stored as looked up macro ids)

I plan something like this in syslog-ng 2, as the basic infrastructure is
there, it would however be a bit more difficult for 1.5.x.