[syslog-ng]performance test questions

Dmitry Frolov syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:44:10 +0300

Hi,

I also faced a problem with udp message loss and performed some tests of syslog-ng
with attemts to reduce them. So here are several suggestions..
First, i noticed that with high udp message rates number of udp packets
were dropped due to full socket buffers.
This may be checked with netstat's per protocol statistics (netstat -s),
Increasing socket rx buffer to 3 MB with setsockopt SO_RCVBUF option seems to help.
though it does not completely stops packet drops
Second, if resolving is required, either syslog-ng dns cache should be enabled,
or local caching name server should be installed to speed up resolving, as slow
resolving leads to udp messages loss.
I also turned off all usertty destinations because they seemed to slow down syslog-ng,
constantly reading /var/run/utmp.
Unfortunately i could not get rid of udp packets drops comletely,
when peak message rates jumps above 4000 msgs/sec number of packets are being dropped :(
Does anybody have ideas about how to reduce loss further?

--
Dmitry Frolov, Zenon N.S.P. (095) 250-4629, http://www.zenon.net/