[syslog-ng]syslog-ng restart: postfix/nqmgr logline missing on next received e-mail

Peter Bieringer pb@bieringer.de
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:27:09 +0100

--On Thursday, February 13, 2003 02:04:52 PM +0100 Achim Gsell
<achim@cybercity.ch> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 February 2003 10:56, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:54:52AM +0100, Peter Bieringer wrote:
>> > Pls. don't tell me that I have to restart every service after I
>> > restart syslog-ng (already known: crond, now postfix, which one is
>> > still missing?).
>> > This would be a very unnice "feature". If bug is in a common used
>> > glibc-version, then imho a workaround by syslog-ng would be required.
>> > I don't like to loose loglines, you sure not, too.
>> >
>> > Does this also happen if old syslogd would be used? Don't believe so.
>> >
>> > It's all very strange...looks like I have to switch back to syslog,
>> > loosing all the nice features :-(
>>
>> the same happens to old syslogd as well as this is a libc issue. just try
>> it and you will see.

Now I've tested in on a very clean RHL 7.3
glibc-2.25-42
sysklogd-1.4.1-8
postfix-1.1.7-2

First, Balazs is right in the postfix issue, in this case it's even more
worse:

If syslogd/klogd restarts, postfix *completly* stops logging forever until
postfix is reloaded or restarted.

> Sorry, but at least on a Linux 2.4 system this is wrong!
>
> I just tested it:
> With the old syslogd 1.4.1 no message will be lost:

Me too.

> The test program "syslog_test.c":
>
># include <syslog.h>
>
> int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {
>   int cnt=0;
>
>   openlog( argv[0], LOG_NDELAY|LOG_PID, LOG_DAEMON );
>
>   while( 1 ) {
>     syslog( LOG_INFO, "%d", ++cnt );
>     sleep( 5 );
>   }
>
>   return( 0 );
> }

Is someone able to write a short program which opens a /dev/log and log
through this channel all the time?

Will dig now through RHL errata to check whether this problem is already
filed.

        Peter
--
Dr. Peter Bieringer                     http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
GPG/PGP Key 0x958F422D               mailto: pb at bieringer dot de