[syslog-ng]syslog-ng... - klog on console now

Peter J. Holzer hjp@hjp.at
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:45:32 +0100

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87

On 2003-02-12 22:37:14 +0100, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> I've done this, but now kernel messages will appear on console now
> also (thanks to serial console support...) at same time like in
> defined file.
>=20
> Why?

man klogd:

       By  default  the  klogd  daemon  executes a system call to
       inhibit all kernel messages (except for panics) from being
       displayed  on  the  console.

(actually, I think newer versions of klogd don't do that anymore by
default, but the startup scripts probably called it with a sensible
value for the -c flag)

syslog-ng doesn't do that, so you have to write the right value(s) to
/proc/sys/kernel/printk yourself.

	hp

--=20
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | To a database person,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | every nail looks like a thumb.
| |   | hjp@hjp.at         |
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |     -- Jamie Zawinski

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87

--BI5RvnYi6R4T2M87--