[syslog-ng]syslog-ng hanging bringing machine in trouble

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:14:46 +0100

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:39:48PM +0100, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> Hmm, I'm using a given initscript to start syslog-ng:
>
> start() {
>         echo -n $"Starting system logger: "
>         daemon syslog-ng $SYSLOGD_OPTIONS -f /etc/syslog-ng.conf
>         RETVAL=$?
>         echo
>         echo -n $"Starting kernel logger: "
>         daemon klogd $KLOGD_OPTIONS
>         echo
>         [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/syslog-ng
>         return $RETVAL
> }
>
> Does this mean that starting klogd isn't required?

This is a snippet from the FAQ:

    *

      I want to replace syslogd *and* klogd on my Linux box with syslog-ng.

      Use a source line like this in your conf file to read kernel messages, too.

source src { pipe("/proc/kmsg"); unix-stream("/dev/log"); internal(); };

      Note: do not run klogd and syslog-ng fetching local kernel messages at the same time. It may cause syslog-ng to block which makes all logging local daemons unusable.
    *

NOTE the note sentence above. The problem was probably caused by klogd &
syslog-ng running at the same time.