[syslog-ng]1.5.26 and RedHat8

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:12:25 -0800

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:44:20PM -0600, Madziarczyk, Jonathan wrote:
> I didn't come across anything like this while scouring the archives, but
> maybe someone has some ideas.
>
> So I just installed 1.5.26 onto a fresh RH8 install and I'm trying to
> use my previous init.d script (see below) that I got from an "old
> school" post from Binder.  I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to
> linux, but according to the man pages the latest NG is still looking for
> the config file in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.  I'm getting the
> following error message when I try to run my init.d file.
> Starting syslog-ng: Cannot open configuration file
> /usr/local/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf for reading
> Parse error reading configuration file, exiting. (line 1)
> I don't see anything in the script that looks like it should point it to
> the usr/local dir.......
>
> So what am I missing?  Or is there just a newer copy of an init script
> that I can mooch?

You can:

a) modify your init script to use the -f option to specify your config
file location ("/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -f
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf")

b) symlink /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf to
/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf ("mkdir -p
/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng && ln -s /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf")

c) recompile syslog-ng to use /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf as the
config file ("./configure --sysconfdir=/etc" if I remember correctly).

Any of the above should solve your problem.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net