[syslog-ng]Quoting ( and ) in a match

Allan Wind syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:20:08 -0500

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On 2003-12-16T09:52:46+0000, Jim Mozley wrote:
> Allan Wind wrote:

> >Dec 11 15:25:10 log_source@pawan amavis[29961]: (29961-01-2) Passed,
> ><syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu> -> <allanwind@lifeintegrity.com>,
=20
> >-1.364

[...]

> What is it that you are trying to match?
>=20
> Is it "(ddddd-dd-d) Passed"?

Good eyes.  I am trying to be very specific and only match("^...
Passed") which in this case probably works out to:

	match("[^:]+: \\([^\\)]\\) Passed, ")

Perhaps we could document exactly what should be quoted?  I mean, why is
literal '(' written as '\\(' and not '\\\('?  What charachters need to
be quoted?  Exactly what type of regex is supported, I did not manage
getting \d working, but that could be because I got quoting wrong (is it
\\d)?

I noticed, that if you send a signal 1 to a running syslog-ng process
asking it to load a syslog-ng.conf with syntax error, then the process
dies.  Should it just log something and refuse to load the new
syslog-ng.conf instead?

/Allan
--=20
Allan Wind