[syslog-ng]How to lessen/fix dropped messages?

Josh Endries syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:54:59 -0500

Hey all,

We log 20ish hosts to a central log server (many are through stunnel)
and recently I started getting dropped messages. I see anywhere from
1-10 dropped per STATS line. This probably has something to do with us
installing iplog on some machines and increasing the traffic (only
timely coincidence I can think of) I'm wondering what, if anything, can
be done to help the situation.

I've read that you can increase the log_fifo_size to help with this
problem, but I'm not sure what the default value is or what I should set
it to. Is there a guideline for what to set this for X number of
machines, or for a certain amount of traffic?

Thanks!

--
Josh