[syslog-ng]last message repeated?

Rule, Ted syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:36:27 +0100

Dear old syslogd has explicit code to save a copy of the last message recei=
ved,
and compare it with the current message ( less the timestamp field and it o=
nly saves 256
bytes of message(?) ), so as to throttle out such floods. It's fairly basic=
, however,
as it imposes no time restriction on the history buffer, so duplicate messa=
ges hours
apart don't cause separate messages to be logged.

As far as I'm aware, syslog-ng has never had this feature, but I agree it
would be highly desirable to add to future releases. On the face of it, the
basic functionality provided in syslogd shouldn't be difficult thing to cod=
e.
however, the tricky bells&whistles feature would be to add a separate messa=
ge=20
history/throttle/cache(?)/aging(?) for each source IP so that a server
could correctly spot multiple copies of the same message within a given tim=
eframe
even if intervening messages were from a different source.
=20

Ted