[syslog-ng]Reliable syslog and network outages

Amodiovalerio Verde syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:57:36 +0200

well, you could disable syslog-ng queue, and use a destination program.

So....syslog-ng get a message and send it immediatly to destination.

Now with syslog-ng queue disabled, is up to you to be sure to handle and
catch that message.

Your program try to send it to a remote machine, if it cannot, it append it
to a file.

As soon as the host came back, your program ( without blocking on stdin or
you will lose new messages
syslog-ng is feeding ) , reads that file and sends the messages to the log
host

Naturally on a reboot, your program will find a non empty file, so if the
host is up, it will send all the messages.

This could not work if you have to handle big loads of messages or peaks...

Your problem could simply be slower than syslog-ng, and lost some messages,
while doing something else.

I never consider too much this problem, cause I use only UDP logging...and
it's well known by committent that messages
could be lost.

But probably I have to do a policy change, so I had to use TCP, reliability,
compression and some few things.

If you're interested I let you know.

Amodiovalerio Verde