[syslog-ng]FQDN in the destination

Glasser, Rob syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:46:29 -0700

I tried that order and it didn't work.  I guess I left out some
important information before.=20

This is on solaris8, accepting traffic inbound over udp from stock
solaris syslogd entries, I don't know if that hoses things up or not.
Also I'm running syslog-ng-1.6.0rc3+20030429. =20

In fact, I think the DNS piece is completely hosed, because when I tell
it to use dns I start getting $HOST variables set to IP addresses.  The
only way I can get the shortname back is to turn off all the functions
to try and get the hostname and just keep the name sent over with the
syslog message.

I've tested this from another system running syslog-ng-1.6.0rc3+20030429
sending via UDP and it has the same symptoms, though it at least gets
the short name.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Nate Campi [mailto:nate@campin.net]=20
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 3:05 PM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]FQDN in the destination

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 02:24:32PM -0700, Glasser, Rob wrote:
> I'm trying to use the fully qualified domain name in my directory
naming
> structure in a destination function.  Here is what I have:

I do this:

        use_fqdn(yes);
        keep_hostname(yes);
        use_dns(yes);
        long_hostnames(off);

then..

destination hosts {
        file(
=20
"/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$FACILITY/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY$YEAR$MONTH$D
AY"
        owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700)
create_dirs(yes)
        template("$DATE $FULLHOST $MESSAGE [$FACILITY.$LEVEL]\n")
        template_escape(no)
        );
};

log {
        source(src);
        destination(hosts);
};

Works for me with 1.5.26 on debian woody.
--=20
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net=20