[syslog-ng]Problem with options

TIM MOORE syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:34:03 -0500

--=_F4AB4BA2.8CEDB212

I have tried two options in the config file that don't seem to work =
properly.  I have many devices logging to this box creating a file for =
each day.  When one month is up, I hope that they will begin to write over =
the previous months file.  Here is how I was attempting to do this:

First I have tried to set the log_fifo_size to 12288 lines.  According to =
the extended sample syslog-ng conf file this setting will set the number =
of lines for the output file.  However, I have many files that are way =
over this line amount.  Does this option work?

However, an even better solution seemed to set the remove_if_older option =
to say 172800 (2 days).  This way when it comes back around to the first =
day of the month (01) then it would see that this file is older than 2 =
days and wack it and start with a new "01" file. =20

Any ideas how to get this to work with syslog-ng.  I have a fix for it, =
but would rather not leave it to external scripts to fix the problem.  Any =
suggestions?

Tim

--=_F4AB4BA2.8CEDB212

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>I have tried two options in the config file that don't seem to =
work=20
properly.&nbsp; I have many devices logging to this box creating a file =
for each=20
day.&nbsp; When one month is up, I hope that they will begin to write over =
the=20
previous months file.&nbsp; Here is how I was attempting to do this:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>First I have tried&nbsp;to set the&nbsp;log_fifo_size to=20
12288&nbsp;lines.&nbsp; According to the&nbsp;extended sample syslog-ng =
conf=20
file this setting will set the number of lines for&nbsp;the output =
file.&nbsp;=20
However, I have many files that&nbsp;are way over this line amount.&nbsp; =
Does=20
this option&nbsp;work?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>However, an even better solution seemed to set the remove_if_older =
option=20
to say 172800 (2 days).&nbsp; This way when it comes back around to the =
first=20
day of the month (01) then it would see that this file is older than 2 =
days and=20
wack it and start with a new "01" file.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any ideas how to get this to work with syslog-ng.&nbsp; I have a fix =
for=20
it, but would rather not leave it to external scripts to fix the problem.&n=
bsp;=20
Any suggestions?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tim</DIV></BODY></HTML>