[syslog-ng]Losing 25% of messages using UDP

Gregor Binder syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:19:44 +0200

Bill Graham on Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:47:32AM -0700:

Bill,

> Upgrading the system probably wouldn't solve the problem and would most
> likely be a waste of hardware.  I am running on a E250 w/2 450MHz
> processors and 4Gb of RAM.

assuming this host is doing logging only, I would think you would need
more disks than the E250 fits until this kind of CPU and memory resour-
ces will be exhausted.

Have you tried monitoring performance on the box using vmstat, iostat
and sar? I can't see (judging by the figures you mention from your tes-
ting) how a machine like this could be bound by CPU or RAM when it does
not recv() fast enough.

If you haven't already, check if vmstat shows processes waiting for I/O,
and check iostat for busy disks. If you find you're asking too much from
these devices, Raid-0 might help. And maybe you would find out you can
remove one CPU and about 3GB of RAM :)

Regards,

--
 ____ ____
/  _/| -  >  Gregor Binder <gb@(rootnexus.net|sysfive.com)>
| / || _\ \
\__ Id: 0xE2F31C4B Fp: 8B8A 5CE3 B79B FBF1 5518 8871 0EFB AFA3 E2F3 1C4B