[syslog-ng]syslog-ng 1.6.0rc1 a bit erratic at kernel logs

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:37:57 +0200

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:52:52PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> Hi there
>
> We've got a central syslog-ng server here with incoming feeds from old
> syslog clients (HPUX,Cisco,printers,etc) as well as TCP-based feeds from
> syslog-ng clients. In general it all works well.
>
> However, there seems to be a problem with kernel messages on the
> localhost. The fact that they are processname=kernel appears to be lost
> on syslog-ng - instead of seeing:
>
> server kern info kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
>
> I see
>
> server kern info device eth0 left promiscuous mode

the 'kernel: ' prefix has been added by klogd and is not generated by the
kernel itself. However syslog-ng has an option to generate this prefix as
well:

source s_kern { file("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: ")); };

and you are done.