[syslog-ng]syslog-ng 1.6.0 insists on log files with 600 permissions

nate syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:08:17 -0700 (PDT)

I upgraded to freebsd 4.8 from 4.7 last week and portupgrade
reported it upgraded syslog-ng from syslog-ng-1.4.17 to
syslog-ng-1.6.0.r1 and libol-0.2.23 to libol-0.3.9
(libol is required by syslog-ng)

and while syslog-ng is working I cannot get it to store files
that are group readable. In the past this has been no problem,
but now syslog-ng seems to insist upon permissions of 600. I
even went sofar as to set a umask of 137, in the syslog-ng init
script, which sets permissions on newly created files to 640,
but that seems to have no effect, syslog-ng randomly(?) changes
permissions back to 600 even after I set them to 640 myself.
I have logrotate run weekly and create files that are 640:

/var/log-ng/* {
        create 0640 root wheel
        notifempty
        errors my@email.address
        rotate 26
        weekly
        compress
        delaycompress
        olddir /var/log-ng/archive
        missingok
}

but syslog-ng again changes it back to 600. driving me crazy :)

I don't see anything in the syslog-ng manpage that can set file
permissions..so I'm at a loss! I have been running syslog-ng
on freebsd 4.7 with no problems since about september 2002.

anyone else experience this?

thanks

nate