[syslog-ng]source socket keepalive patch suggestion

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:34:42 -0400 (EDT)

Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk writes:

> I previously enquired whether it would be possible to allow for a keep-alive
> option
> on Unix DGRAM sockets to help avoid the situation on some platforms when daemons
> such as sendmail have the /dev/log socket 'whipped from under them' during
> syslog-ng/SIGHUP.

Why not fix the libc code on those platforms so it does basic sanity
checking on the socket, and re-opens the socket when it discovers that
its cached filehandle for /dev/log is invalid?  I encountered this on
NetBSD and it was an easy library fix (it's patched in all current
releases (1.5.3 and 1.6 candidates) - what OS are you using?