[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng-1.5.21 on Solaris8

William Yodlowsky wyodlows@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:07:55 -0400

Balazs Scheidler <bazsi@balabit.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:17:04PM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> >
> > Any chance to fix dumping core with this version?
>
> not yet, sorry. I once managed to cause a SEGFAULT, but the resulting
> backtrace was not usable. What seems to be true is that there's some kind of
> memory corruption going on. It seems to be related to TCP support, but don't
> I know whether destination or source. Narrowing down the problem to some
> component (e.g. only occurs with TCP sources or destinations)

I only see segfaults on our central syslog server, not clients, so I'd
say source has been my experience.

> Does it happen when only a simple, persistent TCP connection exists, or it
> is somehow related to connection establishment?

Hmm, I'll see if I can pinpoint that.  I know nothing is ever written to
disk (not a log line, files/directories aren't created, nothing) so it's
before that happens.

> I'd need to add some more debug info to the output (e.g. dmalloc or
> something similar).
>
> So there are many questions, and I don't really have enough  time now. It
> also doesn't help that it took several hours to get syslog-ng crash.
>
> I've fixed the most important things (res_init(), the problem with binding
> sockets, etc.) that's 1.5.22 and libol 0.3.5

Luckily the patch posted to bugtraq applies to several versions  :-)