[syslog-ng]file source driver ???

Ben Russo ben@umialumni.com
26 Nov 2002 09:45:02 -0500

Here is what I did when I needed to have a STANDARD HP-UX syslog daemon
running on a syslog relay, but wanted the features of syslog-ng.

I started syslog-ng on the standard syslog port and do what I wanted it
to do, EXCEPT write to the local files that the standard HP syslog
daemon would normally do.

I had syslog-ng forward all syslog messages to a high port for syslog
and started the standard syslog on that high port using the standard
syslog.conf.

Now I can use syslog-ng and syslog-ng.conf, but I ignore all the
usual destination files on the local host, those I leave to
syslog.conf and OLD syslog.  But for filtering and forwarding
and forwarding and such I let syslog-ng handle it.