[syslog-ng]current directory of syslog-ng

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:13:01 -0500 (EST)

I'm invoking syslog-ng with these flags:

   /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -f /etc/central-syslog-ng.conf -p /logtree/tmp/syslog-ng.pid -C /logtree -u logs -g logs

I see from lsof that the current working directory of syslog-ng, after
it has chroot'd, is /logtree/log (the top level of all the file
detinations, or "/log" in the chroot).  The problem with this is
that the /logtree/log directory is owned by root, and I think I'm
unable to get core dumps of syslog-ng when it is run non-root and
chroot'd because the file permissions of that directory don't permit
syslog-ng to write a core file.

What's the best way to solve this?  I'm thinking a config file
directive to set the current working directory would be nice.
For my chroot'd environment, I had accidentally included features
that don't work in a chroot, like usertty(user) which requires both
root privs and access to /var/run/utmp, and I'd also specified the
wrong place for the pidfile.  Both of those caused aborts or segfaults
when I looked at a ktrace, but no core files were ever written.