[syslog-ng]syslog-ng-1.4.17 crashes

Heinz Ekker heinz.ekker@uta.at
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:03:47 +0100

Hi!

I am using syslog-ng 1.4.17 with libol 0.2.24 on a central log host
running RedHat 7.3.

It all worked fine so far, until the load on the logging servers got
higher and higher, resulting in about 900MB Logs daily. Then, syslog-ng
started to die randomly, apparently not connected to any particular load
peaks (at least as far as I was able to check), just the normal inferno.

After finding and eliminating that d*mn RedHat's 'ulimit -c 0' in the
rc-script, I got several core dumps, which, when examined with gdb, all
show the following backtrace:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x400530a1 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x40052e99 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x40054364 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3  0x080529e5 in fatal ()
#4  0x080530a7 in xalloc ()
#5  0x080531f7 in ol_string_alloc ()
#6  0x0805068f in c_format ()
#7  0x08053501 in do_flush ()
#8  0x0805162d in write_callback ()
#9  0x080511d7 in io_iter ()
#10 0x08049c45 in main_loop ()
#11 0x08049f81 in main ()
#12 0x400421c4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

As far as I know, malloc only returns NULL, if it was unable to allocate
the requested memory. The machine has 1 GB physical RAM and another Gig
of Swap space. I'm running the sar data collector, and at all times
there were loads of free memory. Swap stays untouched, the machine is
not doing much besides syslogging.

At loss for any solution, I did a panic upgrade to 1.5.23 with libol
0.3.5 today, when syslog-ng died 3 times within 30 minutes. So far it
runs stable, but I'll know more tomorrow.

My questions: Is this a bug in the 1.4 series? Can I sleep well while
running 1.5 (marked as 'development')?

It is imperative for us that no messages, or at least as few as
possible, are lost, for dealing with abuse requests and customer
inquiries.

TIA,

--
             Heinz Ekker, mailto:heinz.ekker@uta.at
 Do not meddle in the affairs | UTA Systems Engineering Unix