[syslog-ng]Basic questions

qian@x85.com qian@x85.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:00:32 -0600

I'm new to this mailing list. Here are some basic questions. Any help is appreciated.

Q1. If I want to set a centralize log server, do i need to run your version of syslogd (syslog-ng) on log server only or all the clients need that version too?

Q2. To save log from differnt host to its file, one needs to specify this:

  destination host ( file("/var/log/$HOST/....") )

on /etc/syslog.conf only on log server?

Q3. If I use a rely server, so log generated from host1, relyed thru host2 to log server, is it recorded as host2 or host1 or host1/host2 depending on the option of keep_hostname/chain_hostname? What I want is to preserve the orinigal host (host1), how to do it?

Yonglin Qian