[syslog-ng]source definition with pipe / 1.4x or 1.5x

D. Pille detlef.pille@team.nwn.de
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:41:16 +0100

Hello Balázs,

I would like to migrate our servers from syslog to syslog-ng (weīre using
SuSE 5.4 to 8.1, some clustered, mostly all Internet).
Can you say about the next stable release or better: Should I use 1.4x now
and then I can switch over to 1.5x - without greater reconfigurations?

And another questions:

source src { pipe("/proc/kmsg"); unix-stream("/dev/log"); internal(); };

Is this source definition enough to leave klogd behind?

Is it possible to use "pipe" in this manner for other logs - like them from
proftpd? Itīs for me not clear how to grep a log message in a logfile to a
central log-server when the source isnīt at /proc or /dev.
Will "pipe" as source driver look around the file and, if a new line
appears, pipe this new lines?

Regards,
Detlef Pille
NWN-Admin