[syslog-ng]replacing Linux klogd by a chrooted syslog-ng running as a non root user

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:46:32 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 02:25:44PM +0100, Guillaume LACHENAL wrote:
> from  http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html
>
> As /proc/kmsg and /dev/log are outside the jail, is there a way to do the
> same thing with a chrooted syslog-ng ?

configuration initialization is performed prior to chroot-ing, so syslog-ng
first opens the necessary devices, and then chroots itself.

you cannot restart the daemon though, unless you do the following:

- mount /proc under the chroot jail as well (can be mounted multiple times)
- create a symlink in /dev/log to /chroot/dev/log

then instead of using syslog-ng's own chroot feature, use the chroot
command, so the config initialization is performed _inside_ the jail. These
have drawbacks as well:

- you need libc and other libs in the jail (while when starting from
  outside, these are mapped from the system at startup)
- /proc might provide too much information inside the jail so you might as
  well run syslog-ng outside the jail ;)

The latter problem can be solved by restricting /proc access with a patch
like openwall, and I might provide a patch for the first, to chroot first,
and then initialize.