chroot and hostname resolution problem [was : Re: [syslog-ng]centralized

Guillaume LACHENAL glachenal@on-x.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:45:16 +0100

The last missing lib was :

8677  open("/lib/libresolv.so.2", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

Thanks to all who helped me.

But as I'm just starting playing with syslog-ng, I think I'll be back
quickly with
some other questions ... ;-)

Regards,
Guillaume

- - -
Balazs Scheidler wrote :

(snip)

> those files are loaded dynamically by the libc

ok I now understand better

> do you have resolv.conf/host.conf ?

You're right !

8561  open("/etc/resolv.conf", O_RDONLY) = 5
8561  open("/etc/host.conf", O_RDONLY)  = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

question : what's the difference, in name resolution process, between
/etc/hosts.conf
and /etc/nsswitch.conf

my updated config :

$JAIL/etc/resolv.conf is ok and working (tested outside the jail)
$JAIL/etc/nsswitch.conf contain "hosts:          dns"
$JAIL/etc/hosts.conf contain "order bind"

syslog-ng continue to resolve hostnames only if they are in
$JAIL/etc/hosts