chroot and hostname resolution problem [was : Re: [syslog-ng]centralized

Gregor Binder Gregor.Binder@sysfive.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:58:57 +0100

Msg from Guillaume LACHENAL:

Guillaume,

> > You might find them if you continue to search recursively through the
> > results.
>
> This is what I've done ! :
> G> nor ldd on the libs returned by the previous command

that's why I said "might" and not "will" :) ldd's capability in searching
shared libraries for dependencies is (maybe depending on the platform in
use) not always reliable.

> > I've set up quite a few chroots for all kinds of services. Experience
> > says, that guessing (i.e. trying to figure out in advance) will usually
> > only save you the first few trace-sessions but almost never make the
> > chrooted service work 100% right away.
>
> Ok

Even though this does not necessarily apply to syslog-ng, also make sure
that you test the chrooted service properly. Some software might fail at
a later date, when somebody tries to access rarely used functionality,
or the software does something automatically (such as a proxy purging
its cache or similar things).

Cheers,
  Gregor.