chroot and hostname resolution problem [was : Re: [syslog-ng]centralized

Gregor Binder Gregor.Binder@sysfive.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:27:05 +0100

Msg from Guillaume LACHENAL:

Hi Guillaume,

> and I suppose those libs are needed by the resolver ...

most likely :)

> Why 'ldd syslog-ng' does not reported this two files ?
> (nor ldd on the libs returned by the previous commands)

You might find them if you continue to search recursively through the
results.

> How could I 'guessed' that I need to copy this files into the jail ?

I've set up quite a few chroots for all kinds of services. Experience
says, that guessing (i.e. trying to figure out in advance) will usually
only save you the first few trace-sessions but almost never make the
chrooted service work 100% right away.

> Althougt my $JAIL/etc/nsswitch.conf contains "hosts dns",
> hostnames are only resolved if they are in $JAIL/etc/hosts !
> Amazing ...

As you seem to start having fun with process tracing, try to find out
where resolving fails, or if it is attempted at all.

Regards,
  Gregor.