[syslog-ng]lost logs when using syslog-ng on Linux due to /dev/log reopen

Peter J. Holzer hjp@hjp.at
Fri, 31 May 2002 22:14:10 +0200

--w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

On 2002-05-28 12:50:04 +0400, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> I am using syslog-ng on Mandrake (8.2 and post-8.2), glibc-2.2.5.
>=20
> Unfortunately, it tends to lose logs. As far as I can tell it is related =
> the fact that syslog-ng recreates /dev/log on HUP. It means that every
> program that has opened syslog connection won't be able to write to /dev/=
log
> anymore.

Not quite. I had the same problem with syslog-ng 1.4.something (I think
I recompiled a Mandrake source rpm on Redhat, but I'm not 100% sure) and
1.5.13. When I investigated the problem I found two bugs: One in
syslog-ng and one in glibc 2.1:

The bug in syslog-ng was related to recreating /dev/log on HUP. It was
fixed in 1.5.15, I think (mentioned in the changelog), so I didn't
bother to report it.=20

The bug in libc is more subtle:

Apparently[1] the syslog library function works like this:

    check if there is an open file descriptor to syslogd. If there is
    none, try to connect in stream and dgram mode (one of them will
    usually work).

    Write message to the socket.

    If this fails, close socket.

So, if syslog-ng (or syslogd, for that matter[2]) recreates the socket,
the next write will fail, syslog will silently drop the message, but at
the next syslog call it will reopen the socket and continue to log
happily. Doesn't matter much if you lose one message every 24 hours (or
how often you switch logs), don't you think?

Unless you have a forking server like sendmail, which calls openlog in
the parent process. Then the socket will always be open but invalid
after the fork, so you will lose the first syslog message from each
connection - in the case of sendmail, you will generally only see "to=3D"
messages, but no "from=3D" messages.

	hp

[1] I didn't have the source and was only looking at
strace-Output, so I may be wrong. Because of this, and because I only
tested it with glibc 2.1 and wanted to look at 2.2, I haven't reported
this to the glibc maintainer yet. If anyone wants to, feel free.

[2] Syslogd doesn't recreate the socket on SIGHUP. But you get the same
behaviour if you kill and restart syslogd.

--=20
   _  | Peter J. Holzer     | > Ben=F6tigt man f=FCr Linux einen Virenscann=
er?
|_|_) | Schriftf=FChrer LUGA  | Nein.
| |   | hjp@luga.at         | Linux bootet und l=E4uft auch ohne Virenscann=
er