Fwd: [syslog-ng]Logging Remotely from Solaris to Linux

Ron Braley braley@aero.und.edu
Thu, 30 May 2002 21:58:23 -0500

Hi Bazsi.

Here's where things are with the syslog-ng and Solaris vs Linux:

Using facility filters (i.e. f_cron) on the Linux box will result in
not logging any messages from the Solaris box.  Other Linux boxes work
fine with the facility filters, though.

The following is a syslog-ng.conf excerpt that lets all facilities
(except mail and LPR) from the Solaris box log to /var/log/messages:

destination d_messages { file("/var/log/messages"); };
log { source(s_all); filter(f_sirius); filter(f_warn);
destination(d_messages); };

Again, if I add "filter(f_cron)" then nothing from the Solaris box
works.  The entry "filter(f_sirius)" a host filter, and that works
fine.

On a non-Solaris related issue, if I try to test the kern facility by
doing a command like "logger -p kern.crit TEST" nothing happens locally
or on the loghost.  Is there a reason why that should act differently
than other facilities?

Thanks much for your help in these two matters.

rb

Ron Braley
Network Team Leader - CCNP
Systems Team Leader - MCSE, CNE
University of North Dakota (Aerospace College)
braley@aero.und.edu
701-777-2964 (work) / 2940 (fax)