[syslog-ng]"fifo" and "file" source difference?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Tue, 28 May 2002 10:43:10 +0200

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:39:59AM +0400, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> I needed a source that takes input from a FIFO so I made an obvious "fifo"
> source. Then I realized I needed log_prefix (that is not supported by fifo)
> so I changed it to "file". So far I cannot see any real difference.
>
> When should "fifo" and when "file" be used? Or are they exactly the same,
> just under different name?

The only difference is the open mode. fifos are opened read-write (to let
syslog-ng run when no writers are present), files in read-only mode.

It is a matter of patching the grammar file to add support for log_prefix.