[syslog-ng]syslog-ng dying randomly?

John Morrissey jwm@horde.net
Thu, 16 May 2002 23:02:51 -0400

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:19:03PM -0400, Russo, Ben wrote:
% I too had a problem with syslog-ng 1.4.14 dying randomly
% on my RedHat Linux 7.2 box.
[snip]
% I stoped using v1.4.14  and started using 1.5.17
% In the config file options I added the following:
%                  time_reap(12);
%                  gc_busy_threshold(768);
% because in my particular environment I found that
% syslog-ng would have thousands of open files, this fixed
% that and lsof only shows hundreds of open files.

Tried these options; it still dies predictably when the syslog hub goes
away. Thanks for the info, though.

% I also started logging to a ReiserFS filesystem rather
% than ext2fs because I found that the directory scan performance
% on ext2fs slows to a crawl if you are constantly adding
% and removing files from a directory.
% 	(even when the directory was empty it was hundreds of KB)

Yup; I'm doing the same for exactly that reason.

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o
jwm@horde.net        _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,