[syslog-ng]syslog-ng dying randomly?

John Morrissey jwm@horde.net
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:02:55 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:57:28AM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
% the asserts wouldn't be syslogged, but the terminating signal would become
% SIGABRT instead of SIGSEGV.

Still looks like SIGSEGV:

[root@villa:pts/1 /staff/jwm> gdb `which syslog-ng` core
[snip]
Core was generated by `syslog-ng'.

% I'm trying to reproduce the problem here. I changed the reopen time from 60
% to 3 seconds, and sending log messages using logger with a shell script.

If you want direct access to a machine, I might be able to get it for you.

% How did you remove its ability to send messages to the hub? using a packet
% filter rule, directing it  to an unused port, or?

A filter rule on the hub that would cause the client to receive
ECONNREFUSED.

I don't know if it helps, but I think it's interesting that if I start
syslog-ng with the hub "unavailable," it seems to run for a a much longer
time (properly?), but if I start syslog-ng and *then* remove access to the
hub, syslog-ng dies within a few minutes.

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o
jwm@horde.net        _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,