[syslog-ng]syslog-ng survey

Chad Walstrom chewie@wookimus.net
Wed, 15 May 2002 09:23:26 -0500

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:58:17PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Please find the time to fill out the survey below to help us to further
> improve syslog-ng.=20

=2E..[snip]...

> To support the continous development of syslog-ng we plan to create a
> commercial branch, and add related services to our portfolio
> (consulting, training and support).

Will you continue to develop the software with the current GPL license,
or by "branch" do you plan on doing something similar to Sendmail or
TrollTech (QT library)?

> [...]
> [3] disk based message buffering to avoid losing messages
> [3] flow controlled message path to avoid losing messages (cause sending
>     programs to stop responding if log events cannot be stored)
> [3] integrated support for database backends (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle)
> [1] integrated support for log analysis (event correlation, statistics,
>     suspicious events)
> [1] integrated support for e-mail/pager alerts
> [1] integrated support for log rotation/compression
> [2] support for more platforms
> [1] binary distributions for different platforms with installation program
> [1] graphical user interface (GUI) for syslog-ng configuration
> [1] integration tools for non-UNIX platforms (NT EventLog)
>=20
> What platforms are you using/plan to use syslog-ng on? Check all that app=
ly!
> [x] Linux
> [ ] FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD
> [ ] AIX
> [ ] HP-UX
> [x] Solaris
> [x] Irix
> [ ] Tru64
> [ ] SCO Unix
> [ ] Other, please specify:=20
>=20
> Are you using a central syslog server?
> [x] yes, we use syslog-ng on our central syslog server
> [ ] yes, we use a central syslog server, but it is not syslog-ng based
> [ ] no, we have no central syslog server, but we plan to install one
> [ ] no, we don't have central syslog server, and have no plans on install=
ing one
>=20
> How many hosts are you running syslog-ng on?
> [ ] 1-10
> [ ] 11-25
> [ ] 26-50
> [x] 51-100
> [ ] 101-250
> [ ] 251-500
> [ ] Other, please specify:=20
>=20
> How many devices are you logging to syslog-ng used as log host?
> [ ] 1-10
> [ ] 11-25
> [ ] 26-50
> [ ] 51-100
> [x] 101-250
> [ ] 251-500
> [ ] 501-1000
> [ ] Other, please specify
>=20
> Would you or your company be willing to provide syslog-ng related services
> to third parties?
> [ ] yes
> [x] no
>=20
> Would you or your company pay for syslog-ng licenses if there was no
> important difference between the GPLd and non-GPLd version?
> [ ] yes
> [x] no
>
> Would you or your company pay for syslog-ng licenses if there were import=
ant
> differences between the GPLd and non-GPLd version?
=20
  [x] maybe -- our needs aren't that demanding

> Would you or your company pay for consulting services related to syslog-n=
g?
> [ ] yes
> [ ] no

  [x] maybe -- not an envisioned need, however.

> Would you or your company pay for training services related to syslog-ng?
> [ ] yes
> [x] no
>
> Would you or your company pay for support services related to syslog-ng?
> [x] yes
> [ ] no

These answers best reflect our current use of the syslog-ng daemon and
standard BSD syslog.  We operate in a heterogeneous networked
environment with the majority of machines being Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
We have some SGI O2 machines and a couple SGI Challenges and one Solaris
box.  Pepper this variety with a few Mac OS 9.1 and 8.x boxes and a few
Windows NT boxes, and you have our network -- fairly typical for an
educational and postdoctorate research organization.

--=20
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q--