[syslog-ng]syslog-ng survey

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:58:17 +0200

Hi,

Please find the time to fill out the survey below to help us to further
improve syslog-ng. You can either fill it out in this mail message by
entering the appropriate marks in the brackets, or on-line by pointing your
browser to this url:

http://www.balabit.hu/en/downloads/syslog-ng/survey/

Thanks in advance,

Dear syslog-ng users,

Syslog-ng as a free software has been a tremendous success. It's been in
wide use for almost four years now as the first release was made back in
1998.

As syslog-ng is a free software product it is very difficult to estimate the
number of users of syslog-ng. Nevertheless we had over 40000 downloads in
six months, and we have over 500 subscribers on our mailing list. These
numbers are not exact either as syslog-ng is included in several GNU/Linux
distributions like Debian.

According to the Debian package popularity contest (12th May 2002)
syslog-ng was used on 3% of all Debian boxes (based on 1587 submissions).

To support the continous development of syslog-ng we plan to create a
commercial branch, and add related services to our portfolio (consulting,
training and support).

Please help us to improve syslog-ng and related services, and fill the enclosed
survey and send it back to syslog-ng-survey@balabit.hu.

Which features do you think important to add into syslog-ng? Give importance
of each feature as a number between 1 (least important) and 5 (most
important).
[ ] cryptographically protected logfiles stored on the local disk
[ ] cryptographically protected network transmission of log information
[ ] disk based message buffering to avoid losing messages
[ ] flow controlled message path to avoid losing messages (cause sending
    programs to stop responding if log events cannot be stored)
[ ] integrated support for database backends (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle)
[ ] integrated support for log analysis (event correlation, statistics,
    suspicious events)
[ ] integrated support for e-mail/pager alerts
[ ] integrated support for log rotation/compression
[ ] support for more platforms
[ ] binary distributions for different platforms with installation program
[ ] graphical user interface (GUI) for syslog-ng configuration
[ ] integration tools for non-UNIX platforms (NT EventLog)

What platforms are you using/plan to use syslog-ng on? Check all that apply!
[ ] Linux
[ ] FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD
[ ] AIX
[ ] HP-UX
[ ] Solaris
[ ] Irix
[ ] Tru64
[ ] SCO Unix
[ ] Other, please specify:

Are you using a central syslog server?
[ ] yes, we use syslog-ng on our central syslog server
[ ] yes, we use a central syslog server, but it is not syslog-ng based
[ ] no, we have no central syslog server, but we plan to install one
[ ] no, we don't have central syslog server, and have no plans on installing one

How many hosts are you running syslog-ng on?
[ ] 1-10
[ ] 11-25
[ ] 26-50
[ ] 51-100
[ ] 101-250
[ ] 251-500
[ ] Other, please specify:

How many devices are you logging to syslog-ng used as log host?
[ ] 1-10
[ ] 11-25
[ ] 26-50
[ ] 51-100
[ ] 101-250
[ ] 251-500
[ ] 501-1000
[ ] Other, please specify

Would you or your company be willing to provide syslog-ng related services
to third parties?
[ ] yes
[ ] no

Would you or your company pay for syslog-ng licenses if there was no
important difference between the GPLd and non-GPLd version?
[ ] yes
[ ] no

Would you or your company pay for syslog-ng licenses if there were important
differences between the GPLd and non-GPLd version?
[ ] yes
[ ] no

Would you or your company pay for consulting services related to syslog-ng?
[ ] yes
[ ] no

Would you or your company pay for training services related to syslog-ng?
[ ] yes
[ ] no

Would you or your company pay for support services related to syslog-ng?
[ ] yes
[ ] no