[syslog-ng]Forwarding syslog messages via UDP not working , help with config

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 23:14:02 -0400 (EDT)

Subodh Nijsure writes:
> I have following statement in my config file
>
> destination udp_forw { udp("192.168.58.150", port(514)); };
> log { source(blade17) ; destination(blade17log) ; destination(udp_forw); };
>
> What I observe is the messages are getting logged to local file,
> but the remote syslog daemon doesn't receive those messages.
> The remote syslogd is not syslog-ng its a standard syslogd.

And what operating system is the remote system running?  What
command line options have you started syslogd with?  Remember,
Linux and *BSD boxes, by default, only process syslog messages
locally.  To make them listen to UDP port 514, you need to
change the command line options.  Read the man pages for syslogd
on your system, compare it to the running command line viewable
with "ps auxwww" (or "ps -ef" on a System V-ish system), and see
if it's been told to listen.