[syslog-ng]DNS caching

Matthew Melvin matthewm@webcentral.com.au
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:04:34 +1000 (EST)

Hello,

	I'm loath to ask a question right off the blocks but I wasn't able
to find too much in the archives about this...

I'm using syslog-ng 1.5.14 and am trying to get the 'dns_cache(yes);' option
to work for me. When compiled with -DNSCACHE_DEBUG I get this message to
start with...

initialising nscache: 1007 entries, 3600/60 expiration.

... but no messages to suggest nscache_lookup() or any of the other cache
functions are ever being called.  Is there more to this option than meets
the eye?

Other recent discussions have talked about using djb's dnscache or nscd to
do this instead and questioned the wisdom of using caching internal to
syslog-ng.  Should I not be using this feature?  Does it, in fact, work at
all?

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 1, 96 Lytton Road.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer