[syslog-ng]Long messages truncated in 1.5.x branch on Solaris 8

Andreas Schulze Andreas.Schulze@mediaWays.NET
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:57:49 +0200

Hello,

we are observing a wondrous behavior on our central logservers.

We have an local application, that logs to the destinations above.
And all messages greater that approx. 975 Bytes are truncated.

But the enigma is:
If using the local Solaris 'logger' application, all messages greater
than 509 Bytes are truncated.
But they are truncated on different positions depends on the message
size!
(Say, if you log 600 Bytes, you get the first 509 and if you try to log
761,
you get the first 26.) Hmm ?!

We tried out the log_msg_size() feature, available since 1.5.1?.
With no luck.

Both logservers using Solaris 8, one running syslog-ng 1.5.7,
the other 1.5.18.
We are using file() and pipe() destinations capable of queueing via
log_fifo_size() and capable of formating output via
template(..$MSG..\n).
Before writing to the destinations, we do a lot of filtering, too.

We are using the excellent syslog-ng a long time, but now we stuck
inactive.

Has anybody a hint for us?
Is this a bug in syslog-ng, in Solaris, in our mind?

Thanks a lot for any note.
--
Best regards --Andreas Schulze
               [phone: +49.5246.80.1275, fax: +49.5246.80.2275]