[syslog-ng]Doing a regex substitution in syslog-ng

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:45:44 -0700

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:40:55PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:20:43PM -0400, Donavan Pantke wrote:

> > the raw message that was came out of the ajva app. I was hoping that I could
> > do something akin to a filter that did a regex substitution to modify the
> > message to make it look pretty. Is this possible, and if not, is there any
> > other way of pulling this off?
>
> If all you want is to lose what syslog added:
>
> destination d_template_test { file("/var/log/java.log" template("$MSG\n")); };
> log { source(src); destination(d_template_test); };
>
> I'd imaging this will take care of you. IIRC, you need a devel branch to
> use templates.

You will be stuck with the TAG field (program name) if it's added as
part of the message (by logger perhaps). The program name is merely a
convention added to the beginning of a message, and IIRC syslog-ng
faithfully give you the whole message when you ask for it in a template
like this.
--
Programming /n./
 1. The art of debugging an empty file.