[syslog-ng]sync option not flushing on TERM?

Clayton L. Scott tex@engsoc.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:16:22 -0400 (EDT)

Here are my system stats:

Linux 2.4.7-10 i686 ext3 filesystem
syslog-ng 1.4.11

I'm trying to do some stress testing of our syslog-ng configuration
on a server for log collection and if I send 50 msg/s I find that a bunch
are not ending up in the destination file.

Where I should I be looking for these dropped messages? It's not the
interface I was able to get this machine to accept 1200 msg/s with
syslog-ng doing no filtering and writing to a fifo
(with a script I wrote sucking messages though the pipe) plus
/sbin/ifconfig tells me that things are ok.

In our investgation we decided to try the sync option to see if improved
the situation where messages were dropped (this is happening with 100 test
messages and a log_fifo_size(10000) ). We discovered that the remainder of
messages left in the buffer were not flushed to the destination when
syslog-ng was TERMed.

Looking at the change logs from 1.4.11 to 1.4.15 I don't see a fix
mentioned
there.

Any ideas?

Clayton Scott