[syslog-ng]Installing on a non-compiler system

Nicholas Berry nberry@ragingwire.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:26:10 -0700

You could build syslog-ng in a Solaris pkg format, but I'm not sure how
much of a problem you would have installing the package on your Solaris
2.6 system (might not have a problem if you're up-to-date with the
recommended patch cluster).

Nicholas Berry
Systems Engineer
RagingWire Telecommunications, Inc.
nberry@ragingwire.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Lightfoot.Michael [mailto:Lightfoot.Michael@comcare.gov.au]=20
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 8:02 PM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: [syslog-ng]Installing on a non-compiler system

I have built syslog-ng on a development server (Solaris 9) and now wish
to install it on another system which doesn't have development tools (it
is a fairly standard Solaris 9 installation.)

I will also be installing a Solaris 2.6 build on systems in our DMZ
which have been hardened and have very little other than the OS.

The problem I have struck is that after copying the built source to the
target server, "make install" fails with the following error:

# make install
Making install in src
Making install in .
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target
`/usr/local/src/syslog-ng-1.4.15/configure.in'
Current working directory /export/home/syslog-ng-1.4.15/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'
Current working directory /export/home/syslog-ng-1.4.15/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'

Any ideas on how I get around this easily?  NFS is one option, but will
not be for the DMZ systems (and is not used in production on any systems
here.)  I suppose I could install it on the development server using a
filesystem diff before and after trick I have used in the past, but
again there are problems doing this with the Solaris 2.6 build (which
has to be done on a production server as I don't have a Solaris 2.6 dev
machine any more.)

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680=20
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential=20
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or

disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in=20
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately.  Comcare=20
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.=20

We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.=20
=20
New street addresses:
=20
Canberra office                       =20
Level 1                                                          =20
14 Moore street                                              =20
CANBERRA CITY  ACT  2601

Melbourne Office
Level 2
121 William Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.