[syslog-ng]FW: UNSTABLE syslog-ng 1.4.15 + redhat-7.3

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:22:00 +0200

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:21:22AM +0200, _/CaT_ wrote:
> Hi *,
> When I start the application with  debug mode, apparently work normally,
> but I remember , in other session of debug ,
> The debug output consist in  a string, the following: "Garbage
> Collect..."
> do you think that is a real problem or a normal application job ?

it is normal that syslog-ng reports garbage collecting messages.

> The red-hat version I use is stable,You said that,my problem perhaps is
> due to a bad installation
> because i've got the same result in another installation, Under
> Free-BSD.
> If you have an HOW-TO Installation,detailed please, send it to me by
> mail, or publish it on the mailing list.
> Another question...The last..I tried to "CHROOT" the application whit
> the following options :
>
> -C <> or --chroot=<> --user=<> --group=<> in the cage space, but The
> program unrecognized the options.

it is implemented in 1.5.x

> Now the application is working with debug mode and works
> normally..(since 15 hours)..

the problem should be fixed anyway. please do the following:

ulimit -c unlimited (to let the program dump core)
syslog-ng (dumps core)
gdb syslog-ng -c core (reference to core file)
gdb> bt (to get a backtrace where it aborted itself)

thanks,