[syslog-ng]Message aggregation

Kevin Welch kevinw@iserv.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:34:53 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C22C03.C3F6FB24

I would have to agree with that accessment, it would definately make my perl
scripts more complicated.  I guess that given the choice I would prefer the
detail over the summarization.  Probably should have spent a bit more time
thinking about why exactly I wanted that feature.   Thanks for the response.

-- Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu
[mailto:syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu]On Behalf Of Balazs Scheidler
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 6:33 AM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]Message aggregation

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 07:02:19PM -0400, Kevin Welch wrote:
> I know this issue has been discussed before, but I never saw an answer
other
> than 'syslog-ng doesnt do that'.
>
> Perhaps someone could provide insight as to why syslog-ng doesnt aggregate
> messages received?  Is this on a feature list for future releases?
>
> Thanks for your time.

It might be implemented once I have time, though IMHO message aggregation
makes log analysis more difficult, especially if you have multiple cascaded
log relays.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C22C03.C3F6FB24

RE: [syslog-ng]Message aggregation

I would have to agree with that accessment, it would = definately make my perl scripts more complicated.  I guess that = given the choice I would prefer the detail over the = summarization.  Probably should have spent a bit more time = thinking about why exactly I wanted that feature.   Thanks = for the response.

-- Kevin

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 07:02:19PM -0400, Kevin Welch = wrote:
> I know this issue has been discussed before, = but I never saw an answer other
> than 'syslog-ng doesnt do that'.
>
> Perhaps someone could provide insight as to why = syslog-ng doesnt aggregate
> messages received?  Is this on a feature = list for future releases?
>
> Thanks for your time.

It might be implemented once I have time, though IMHO = message aggregation
makes log analysis more difficult, especially if you = have multiple cascaded
log relays.

PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C = 0944 9CFD 804E C82C 8EB1