[syslog-ng]Leaky syslog-ng files?

Andreas Schulze Andreas.Schulze@mediaWays.NET
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:03:00 +0100

todd glassey wrote:

> has anyone ever pushed the system until it choked as a form of Load-Testing
> and if so is there a list of the symptoms for the application and the
> OS/Stack under it seizing up?

We are logging our complete zoo of network equipment to one syslog-ng
process.
Seems that more than 5 million messages per day are not the problem for
a logd
under Solaris 8.
The only problem we see, is that it becomes harder and harder for the
logd to send
all the logs to their destinations in 'real time'. Standard unix file
systems
seems not to be fast enough. But using pipes as dests, there is the sync
problem with the readers end of the pipe.
So we note that message dropping can occur.
Unfortunately the dropping stats of Bazsi doesn't work on a per-dest
base.
But at the moment we can survive with big queue sizes for some dests.

--
Best regards --Andreas Schulze
               [phone: +49.5246.80.1275, fax: +49.5246.80.2275]