[syslog-ng]INSTALLATION PROBLEM <Can't get /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf>PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:30:12 -0700

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:57:17AM +0530, Krishna wrote:
>      I have been trying to install syslog-ng and during this phase I got
> lot of error's.After installing libol I tried to install but thus time i
> gave the path to where libol-config was. I got the binary file
> syslog-ng   in the src directory.
> But when I do make install it says "noting to be done in this directory"
> and quit.

I am not certain that "make install" does anthing.  I have never
bothered to run it.  Just "cp" the syslog-ng executable wherever you
feel like putting it.  If you made libol dynamic, make sure it is
copied to the appropriate place as well.  If you are uncertian whether
you need to copy libol use "ldd" on the syslog-ng executable.  If you
see libol in the dynamic dependancy list, then you will need to
install libol.

> I am not getting syslog-ng.conf in the /etc. There is no directory of
> syslog-ng in the /etc directory
> Please Help
> Any help would be appreciated

You need to make your own syslog-ng.conf file.  There are examples in
the doc directory of the syslog-ng source distribution (or there was
in the 1.4.x distribution).  You will almost certainly have to alter
the samples, please consult the documentation to figure out how.

mkdir -p -m 750 /etc/syslog-ng

should solve your latter problem.

   __o		Bradley Arlt				Security Team Lead
 _ \<_		arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca			University Of Calgary