[syslog-ng]How to run syslog-ng

gkuchta@astro.umn.edu gkuchta@astro.umn.edu
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:46:42 -0600

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

I'm presuming that you already installed the binaries.

1) Find one of the default configuration files, and name that
syslog-ng.conf; place it in whatever directory you defined=20
your etc dir to be.

2) Edit the files which start your current syslogd daemon at boot.
Replace instances of your current daemon with syslog-ng.

3) Kill the pid of your current daemon; start syslog-ng.

4) Tweak your configuration as needed.

I didn't go into detail about much of the above because all of it has
been covered already at some point, and is available on the internet.
Google's our friend.

Garrett

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 03:48:00PM -0500, Paul C. Williamson wrote:
> I know I must be missing something...
>=20
> The docs aren't real clear on this, but to I remove the syslogd daemon=20
> and replace it with syslog-ng?
>=20
> I am able to compile it, but there isn't anything that says how to run it.
>=20
> Also, is there an archive of the mailing list?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Paul

--=20
Garrett Kuchta [gkuchta[at]astro.umn.edu]
Assistant System Manager
Dept. of Astronomy
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
http://www.astro.umn.edu/~gkuchta