[syslog-ng]log rotation not completing

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:16:42 -0800

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:52:24AM -0600, Len Conrad wrote:

> We have FreeBSD newsyslog rotate /var/log/maillog and
> /var/log/pop-before-smtp at 00:00. the rotation is working, we get the
> .0.gz files and new log files, but newsyslog-ng is apparently not receiving
> or reacting to the -HUP or whatever newsyslog sends after rotating the
> files, so logging to the new files stops at 00:00.
>
> suggestions?

Len,

I hate to imply you didn't cover the basics, but are you sure that
newsyslog is sending the HUP to the right PID? Maybe it's trying to
'kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid' when the PID file is
/var/run/syslog-ng.pid?

I don't know how FreeBSD HUPs the syslog daemon, but it could be
something like this.
--
Nate

The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.
Or just re-use this one.